Friday 7 December 2012

Do You Really Want to Do This?


Do you really want to do this?  The question flashed on my computer screen.  I’d been deleting old apps off my laptop, but suddenly the question took on a broader meaning.

Did I really want to publish the Independence Ring: Rock the Female Revolution?


I started with the pros:
  • I am writing about truth that most people don’t seem to know about.
  • The planet is being torn apart and bashed under male rule; we need women leaders in order to survive.
  • Even understanding a little part of the Independence Ring would make a big, positive change in most men’s and women’s lives.
  • The book will help unravel many of the current gender inequality issues; it will speed up the success of the rising women’s movement.
  • I’ll be challenged to learn video and podcast broadcasting
  • I care.  I care about people.  This is my selfless giving
Then went on to the cons:
  • Some people may get angry.  I’m suggesting that societies learn to tie their shoelaces in a new way.  Anger burns my skin, I don’t like being on the receiving end.
  • This is my first book.  Big learning curve lies ahead.
  • What if I go on “The View” and they don’t like the book.  Nah, that wouldn’t happen.  They would love the book.
  • I’m a quiet person.  If I start doing interviews, podcasts and videos, I’ll become more public.
 PROS outweighed CONS by a longshot.

Tonight I watched a short film of Anita Sarkeesian’s presentation at the Tedx 2012 convention.  For the last several years, Anita has been creating videos to call attention to the overt misogyny and sexism in video games.  As a result of her work, she has received thousands of threats of murder and rape, yet she still persists in educating people about the video game gender problem, in which young children are exposed to violent, demeaning portrayals of women. 

Anita is a heroine.  She exposes a real problem for men and women, boys and girls.  The violence of the attacks against Anita prove her point. There are many people in the women’s movement today doing remarkable work, and each person, I am sure, had to ask themselves, “Do I really want to do this?”

Like me, their answer has been a positive, life-changing and empowering, YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment